Viewing post details...

How to use canola oil instead of butter when baking

Who can resist a delicious, gooey chocolate brownie or a red velvet cupcake topped off with a wicked cream cheese frosting? This despite being aware of the need many of us have, more literally than metaphorically, to tighten our belts! Like with most things, desserts too are best in moderation. For those of us with the midnight cake cravings, or the need to nibble on something sweet with a cup of chai, there are some simple things we can do to make our desserts more heart friendly.

Desserts have been getting a bad rap lately, and the biggest culprits behind this are butter and sugar. Yet there’s no need to lose hope, both these ingredients are easily substitutable without compromising on the deliciousness of your dessert.

Butter can be replaced easily by canola oil for most baking purposes, which is what this post will focus on.

Canola oil is a cooking oil derived from the seeds of the canola plant, a member of the mustard family. Unlike other mustard derived oils, canola oil is low in erucic acid, and is completely neutral in flavour. Studies show that Hudson Canola Oil is one of the healthiest, if not the healthiest oil to consume because of several factors. First, it is completely cholesterol and trans-fats free. Secondly, it has one of the lowest levels of saturated fats or “bad fats” amongst all cooking oils, and one of the highest levels of monounsaturated fats or “good fats”. Finally, when you replace any solid fat in your baking such as butter, margarine or shortening by Hudson Canola oil, you are reducing the overall fat content by as much as 20 per cent! No, this isn’t a hoax, simply a very effective cooking oil.

With most cake recipes, butter can be replaced by Hudson Canola oil. However there are some key points to keep in mind while doing so. If the recipe calls for the butter to be melted, it can be replace by an equal amount of canola oil. The substitution is a bit trickier when it comes to using butter in its solid form. Normally, when butter is mixed with eggs, the mixture becomes light and airy and this is one of the key factors in making a cake light and tasty. Butter consists of 80% fat, 20% water and 2% milk solids. Thus when using canola oil instead of butter, use only 80% or 4/5ths of the quantity required. i.e. 80 ml of oil per 100 gms of butter the recipe calls for. Add water to make up the remaining 20% to prevent the cake from getting dry.

The density of oil is another factor to compensate for. To make your cake as light as it would be when you use butter, it is essential to add more leavening agents such as baking soda, in addition to baking powder. You can also separate some of the egg whites from the yolks and whip them up. Fold the egg whites into your batter last to make your cake lighter.

Hudson Canola oil is completely neutral in taste and odour, thus will only enhance the flavours being used, perfect for strongly flavoured cakes such as lemon or chocolate. For sponge cakes, use a little more vanilla or almond essence to give your cake that extra burst of taste.

Finally, when you use canola oil to bake, your cake will stay moist for longer, even if you refrigerate it. Unlike baking with butter, oil does not dry out so easily, keeping your cakes sinfully moist for a longer duration!

Go ahead, try out some healthy baking with Hudson Canola Oil, and let us know how it turns out!

For more canola oil based recipes, take a look at our blog or like us on Facebook

Be Sociable, Share!


Comments are closed.




    © 2012